Many years ago, you were stopped for DUI. At the time, you were unwilling to deal with the problem, so you simply blew off court or maybe you went to Court but didn’t complete the treatment or pay the fines. Now, you are older and wiser and ready to face the issue.

Can you go back and resolve the old case? How?

You may be able to clear up an old DUI, but it will take some time and effort. The case should still be open—in other words, you did not plead guilty, go to trial or finish the terms of your sentence.

If you wish to get closure on an old case, your best bet is to contact an experienced DUI attorney. The process can be tricky, and you will need a navigator. For example, if you didn’t show up for court, there might be an outstanding warrant for your arrest. An attorney can work to get the warrant put aside.

In clearing an old DUI, the first step is to ask the Court to reinstate your case on the docket and to vacate any warrants the judge might have issued in your absence. An attorney can petition the court for this on your behalf.

What happens next depends on where the case left off. If you simply stopped showing up for court, you may have to go through the whole process, beginning with obtaining an alcohol or drug evaluation to determine what treatment level you may require. An experienced DUI attorney who is respected in the courthouse may then be able to work out a more favorable plea agreement than you could on your own. Under certain limited circumstances, you may even be able to take the case to trial.

If you either pled guilty or were convicted and failed to fulfill the terms of your sentence, the court may give you time to complete the classes, community service or fines.

If you have questions about this or another related criminal or traffic matter, please contact Matt Keenan at 847-568-0160 or email matt@mattkeenanlaw.com.

(Besides Skokie, Matt Keenan also serves the communities of Arlington Heights, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Park Ridge, Rolling Meadows, Wilmette and Winnetka.)

About mdkeenan

A criminal and school law attorney with over 17 years of experience, I have successfully represented clients all over the Chicago area. My practice includes DUI, felony, criminal, misdemeanor, homicide, internet crime, retail theft, traffic offenses, cyberstalking, drug crimes, weapons violations, domestic battery and juvenile crime. I also represent families involving school cases. My clients come from all over the Chicago area including Skokie, Wilmette, Niles, Northbrook, Glenview, Evanston, Winnetka, Highland park, Northfield, Park Ridge, Des Plaines and Mount Prospect. I am a member of the ACLU and the Illinois State Bar Association. I serve as a volunteer for First Defense Legal Aid. Se habla espanol.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.