Your child only recently started driving.  Although generally responsible, he or she got a rather high speeding ticket with the possibility of a criminal record as a result.  Should you get an attorney?  What can an attorney do?

Be aware that certain types of tickets, like speeding, are very difficult to win at trial. However, under limited circumstances, it may be possible to get a ticket dismissed.  More likely, an attorney can help your child by negotiating with the prosecutor to get a reduced charge or sentence.  If, for example, your child is charged with a Class A Misdemeanor for speeding, an attorney may be able to get the charge reduced to a petty offense.

An attorney can further help present your child in their best possible light by drawing attention to their better qualities.  Are they a straight A student?  Heavily involved in afterschool clubs? Do they volunteer anywhere?  Can they get letters attesting to their good character?

If you have questions about this or another related Illinois criminal or traffic matter, please contact Matt Keenan at 847-568-0160 or email

 (Besides Skokie, Matt Keenan also serves the communities of Arlington Heights, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Park Ridge, Rolling Meadows, Wilmette and Winnetka.)


About mdkeenan

A criminal and school law attorney with over 17 years of experience, I have successfully represented clients all over the Chicago area. My practice includes DUI, felony, criminal, misdemeanor, homicide, internet crime, retail theft, traffic offenses, cyberstalking, drug crimes, weapons violations, domestic battery and juvenile crime. I also represent families involving school cases. My clients come from all over the Chicago area including Skokie, Wilmette, Niles, Northbrook, Glenview, Evanston, Winnetka, Highland park, Northfield, Park Ridge, Des Plaines and Mount Prospect. I am a member of the ACLU and the Illinois State Bar Association. I serve as a volunteer for First Defense Legal Aid. Se habla espanol.
This entry was posted in moving violations, traffic offenses and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.