The answer is generally yes, if it is your first DUI or a second DUI that occurs more than five years after the first.

In the past, a driver could petition the court for a special driving permit that allowed you to drive to particular locations at particular times.  Today, drivers can ask for a Breath Activated Interlock Ignition Device (BAIID).  This operates like a breathalyzer which enables you to start your car.  A BAIID enables you to drive anywhere at any time provided you are sober.  However, only the Secretary of State can issue these devices and they do entail monthly fees and considerable discipline.  For example, the device reports any failures to the Secretary of State and even use facial recognition technology to prevent others from blowing into the BAIID for you.

While most drivers do not enjoy the device, they are so glad to have the freedom to drive that they quickly become used to having one.

If you have been charged with DUI or a similar offense, contact an experienced DUI attorney immediately. An attorney may be able to petition the court to overturn the suspension of your driver’s license in which case a BAIID might not be necessary.  If you do not qualify for a BAIID, an attorney can help you petition for a hardship permit, although these are extremely hard to obtain.  An attorney may also review your case for its best possible defense.

If you have questions about this or another related Illinois criminal or traffic matter, please contact Matt Keenan at 847-568-0160 or email

(Besides Skokie, Matt Keenan also serves the communities of Arlington Heights, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Park Ridge, Rolling Meadows, Wilmette and Winnetka.)


About mdkeenan

A criminal and school law attorney with over 17 years of experience, I have successfully represented clients all over the Chicago area. My practice includes DUI, felony, criminal, misdemeanor, homicide, internet crime, retail theft, traffic offenses, cyberstalking, drug crimes, weapons violations, domestic battery and juvenile crime. I also represent families involving school cases. My clients come from all over the Chicago area including Skokie, Wilmette, Niles, Northbrook, Glenview, Evanston, Winnetka, Highland park, Northfield, Park Ridge, Des Plaines and Mount Prospect. I am a member of the ACLU and the Illinois State Bar Association. I serve as a volunteer for First Defense Legal Aid. Se habla espanol.
This entry was posted in suspensions. Bookmark the permalink.